Caruso, a USC alumnus, will continue to lead a special committee of the board of trustees overseeing the investigation of Tyndall and the USC student health center. In a letter to “members of the USC Family,” he announced that the special committee hired O’Melveny & Myers, an international law firm, to investigate the conduct and reporting failures of the student health center. Caruso also pledged to bring accountability and transparent reporting practices to the university.

“You just be open, honest and transparent.” Caruso told Annenberg Student Media, “It’s the way I run my business. It’s the way I ran LAPD, when I ran LAPD, a very large organization. It’s the way I ran the Department of Water and Power when I ran the Department of Water and Power. It’s a culture that you set and you put in procedures and policies. But more importantly, it’s how you conduct yourself, how leadership conducts themselves. So as you’ve seen with everything that I’ve done so far in the last couple of weeks, we’ve been very open and honest and forthright about what we’re doing.”

Read the complete interview at USC Annenberg Media.